Transport to and from School

Warwickshire County Council SEND Travel Assistance

(The following information has been taken directly from the WCC website)

Education Travel Assistance – for Pupils School Years 11 or Below

Travel assistance is available to pupils who meet following criteria:

  • The pupil must be a resident in Warwickshire
  • The pupil must have a maintained statement of special educational needs or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan
  • The pupil must be 16 years of age or under (in school year 11 or below)


  • Have a placement at a Specialist Assessment Nursery


  • Have a placement at their nearest qualifying special school as selected by the County Council and named on the child or young person’s statement or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan


  • Have a placement at a designated Speech and Language Resource Base


  • Have a placement at their nearest qualifying mainstream school as named in the statement or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan. The school should be:
    • Over 2 miles away for pupils under the age of 8
    • Over 3 miles away for pupils aged 8-16
    • Two miles away for pupils aged 8-11 who are entitled to free school meals and whose carers are in receipt of the maximum level of tax credits (proof of this will need to be provided)


For those who meet the above criteria Travel Assistance may be offered in either of two forms:

Direct Travel Payments (DTP)

If a pupil qualifies for travel assistance it is primarily offered in the form of direct travel payments. A Parent/Carer would be awarded direct travel payments to enable them to make their own arrangements to transport the pupil to and from their education setting. DTPs will not be provided unless agreed by the pupil’s parents.

Direct travel payments are paid at a rate of 40 pence per mile and the amount paid will be calculated on two return journeys per day.

Please note that direct travel payments will only be given when financially viable and when no existing transport is in place. Should a more cost effective method of transport become available, the Local Authority reserves the right to withdraw the DTP. Should a parent decide they can no longer accept a DTP, they must give at least 14 days’ notice.

More information about DTPs can be found in the Terms and Conditions.

Warwickshire County Council Transport

Transport may be provided to pupils whose parents/carers are unable to make their own travel arrangements. Transport may be given in the form of a bus pass, train pass or private hire vehicle. This is currently provided free of charge.

Warwickshire County Council will seek advice from relevant professionals if there is any dispute over the nature of transport requested.


To apply for Specialist Transport to & from school, please follow this link:

Apply for transport

You will need to state whether your child/young person is on the Deansway or Brittain Lane Campus.

You will also need to reapply for transport if your child/young person moves campus. Parents need to reapply for transport when their young person moves into year 12, and each year following this until they leave school. Transport for Year 12 upwards incurs a cost.

To Contact the Transport Service, telephone 01926 412929 (Option 2)


Travelling by Public Transport

Some older students may prefer to travel to and from school on public transport, in which case they may be eligible for a Disabled Person’s Bus Pass.

You can apply for one here:

Warwickshire Disabled Person’s Bus Pass application


If you have any safeguarding concerns or witness any incidents related to Warwickshire County Council Home to School Transport, please report them by scanning the QR Code or clicking the link below: